Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 extra-large eggs
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat the milk, butter, and salt over medium heat until scalded. When the butter is melted, add the flour all at once and beat it with a
wooden spoon until the mixture comes together and forms a dough. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for 2 minutes. The flour will begin to coat the bottom of the pan. Dump the hot mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with blade. Add the eggs until they are incorporated into the dough and the mixture is thick.
- Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip. Pipe in mounds 1 1/2 inches wide and 1-inch high onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You should have about 18 puffs. With a wet finger, lightly press down the swirl at the top of each puff. (You can also use 2 spoons to scoop out the mixture and shape the puffs with damp fingers.)
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned, then turn off the oven and allow them to sit for another 10 minutes, until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Make a small slit in the side of each puff to allow the steam to escape. Set aside to cool. After they are filled, dust with powdered sugar.
- In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like. Put into a piping bag fitted with a small round tip and squeeze them into the empty middles of the profiteroles.
- Bring a saucepan with 1-inch of water to a boil. Put the chocolate in a metal or heatproof glass mixing bowl and place on top of the saucepan with boiling water. Pay careful attention that the mixing bowl does not touch the surface of the boiling water. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until the chocolate has melted and everything is combined. This is a pretty quick process, once the chocolate has melted remove it from the double boiler set up. Spoon over the filled profiteroles.